Writing well for the web
Writing for the web is very different from writing for print. 79% of users scan the page instead of reading word-for-word, possibly because reading from computer screens is 25% slower than from paper.
Below are some hints and tips to help you write well for the web.
- Be concise – write 50% less than in a paper publication
- Be scannable – help people find what they need
- Be objective – build trust and gain credability with users
- Check grammar, punctuation and spelling
- Write for your audience not for yourself or your company
- Stick closely to your topic and make it clear straight away what your proposition is
- Think like a reader: What terms would you use if you were looking for a page like yours?
Download tips on writing well for the web (48k PDF)